Monday, March 24, 2008

Columbia

The other day I mentioned that we are homeschooling and that I am throwing things in as we go along. For centuries, parents and teachers have been doing this. Officially, it is called “The Teachable Moment.” The other day, I even learned from my son’s teachable moment.


We were eating dinner and discussing taxes when “Uncle Sam” came into the conversation. Since we had been visiting many relatives and he couldn’t remember who was who, our son asked which one was Uncle Sam. When we were done laughing, we told our son “Uncle Sam” would be a good topic for a mini-report.


To do this, I asked him to write what he knew about Uncle Sam, what he wanted to know and then what he had learned about it. One of his questions was “What happened to Aunt Sam?” Again, I had to chuckle but while doing our research, we both learned that prior to Uncle Sam, the personification of America was a woman, Columbia.




So, see those teachable moments can be enlightening.


I hope you all had a glorious Easter. I know we did but I’ll tell you more about that later. I’m off to get some more files ready for the store.

No comments: