Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Mamie's Recipe

Okay, it's not really a recipe.  It's just a set of ingredients and general instructions. 

Hey, the meal doesn't even have a proper name.  Mamie always called it "Salisbury Steak" but it's more like "Stuffed Green Peppers" without the stuffing part.  So, I guess I should call it "Un-Stuffed Green Peppers."

For this, you will need:
  • onion--sliced but do not separate the rings
  • an egg or two
  • hamburger (I've never tried this with ground turkey but I don't see why you couldn't use it.)
  • rice (regular or instant)
  • tomato juice (not sauce, not paste, V8 is okay)
  • one green pepper (more if you like cooked peppers and red ones are okay too)
  • a deep round pot or roaster (I've cooked this both in the oven and in the crock pot.  I suppose you could use a different shaped pot.  Mamie used a round one.  I've got a round one.  Hey, it works!)
  • potatoes and other veggies (We always had fresh green beans or corn on the cob with this meal.)
Cover the bottom of your pot with the onion slices.  It's okay if it's not covered completely. 

In a bowl, mix the hamburger, egg(s) and rice.  You can add salt, pepper, and garlic if you want.  Form a round meatloaf and place on top of the onions. 

Clean the green pepper and slice into strips.  Push these into the meatloaf all the way around the meat so that they are "hugging" the meatloaf (not sticking up in the air).  You can add fresh tomato wedges too if you want. 

Pour tomato juice over the meatloaf.  If you want a "gravy" for the potatoes, be generous with the tomato juice.

Bake or cook in the crock pot.

Steam the potatoes.  I leave the skins on for this meal and just smoosh them with a fork and then pour the "gravy" from the Un-Stuffed Peppers on top.

For the best "fresh summer" meal, serve with your favorite summer vegetables.

There you have it.  I hope it makes sense.

I also hope that tomorrow goes better than today did.  I got a nail in my truck tire and even though it was covered under our warranty, it still was not fun.  But, hey, I can't complain; I didn't have to fix it myself!  LOL!

Until next time, Happy Creative Time!

3 comments:

Barracudasue said...

YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMY! Thanks for sharing, Ileana! I've GOT to try this! :)

Anna said...

Thank you so much for sharing. Sounds so yummy!!!

Lisa Avolio said...

Sounds great to me. Now to talk my kids into trying it!