Thursday, February 3, 2011

Unsung Heroes

I have a different sort of challenge for you today.  You can still use your papercrafting skills and goodies.  So, don't worry about that.

Since September 11, 2001, we have all become more conscious of the sacrifices our troops, police officers and firefighters make for us every day.  The really do deserve all our respect and accolades too.

Yet, right now there is another group of heroes out there and they never get thanked for their service.  They work long hard hours in the cold and horrible weather.  They're up long before most of us and work really late too.  I'm sure the pay isn't great and yet they always do their best for you. 

Do you wonder who they are?  You're going to laugh at this but they are your local snowplow drivers!  LOL!

Seriously, I am challenging you to thank them when you can finally get out and about.  Trust me, I remember those times when we were snowed in and didn't see a plow for a week.  I know all the symptoms of Cabin Fever!  So, this challenge will be a treat for you too since you'll be able to get out and do something good at the same time.

I did this when we lived in Michigan.  It was easy and quick and I am absolutely certain that it was so very much appreciated.  While I was in the grocery store picking up cookies for my kiddos' Valentine's party at school, I bought an extra box.  I wrote a quick note thanking them for all they do for us to clean our roads so we could safely go about our day and I dropped it off at the county garage.

The first time I did this, there wasn't anyone there and I just left the cookies in their breakroom.  Within an hour, they were calling me to thank me and they were totally shocked that someone would think of them like this.

So, are you up for the challenge?

Until next time, Happy Creative Time!

2 comments:

Sue aka barracudasue said...

I work in a gas station and the state highway drivers come in to fuel up. I honestly thank them for doing such a great job on the roads and they all seemed SHOCKED but appreciate someone thanking them.

It's like when a service person walks in and I stick my hand out and say "thank you for what you are doing for our country" or a Vet will walk in and I'll thank them for what they've done for us! I brought tears to one gentleman's eyes just by saying "thank you". He was touched and so was I. I went around the counter and gave him a hug! His wife got teary eyed too. They have NO idea how appreciated they are. Tell them, everyone. It makes their day....and mine! :)

Anna said...

I sure will if I see any. (I try to stay inside when it snows cause I live on a hill and have to walk up and down the hill and I'm getting too old to do that. LOL) :o)