Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Another Journaling Challenge

Today's journaling challenge is another odd one. Specifically, what is the oddest thing you have ever eaten? Did you like it? Why or why not?

Now, I have to be the first one to admit I have eaten some pretty strange things. First, as a kid, I spent a lot of time with my grandparents who weren't too far removed from the farm way of life. Yep, beef tongue--both cooked regularly and pickled--and head cheese were on the menu at their house.

Then, there was my three month stint in Guadeloupe, France. Guadeloupe is in the Caribbean and is like France's Hawaii except the poverty level of the residents is a lot more desperate. While I was there, I lived with two different families. Both families took it upon themselves to expose us to a wide variety of local foods including octopus with the tentacles staring up at us, conch, raw hamburger, fish eyes and heads, horse, cow's foot soup, and the worst of all, pig part soup.

I will never forget pig part soup. I'm sorry that I've forgotten it's real name but I do remember it was a very special dish that was made for a certain holiday. We went to some park for the celebration and as we were approaching the community building, we'd catch a whiff of the absolutely worst smelling stuff you could imagine. It was nauseating and horrendous. Sure enough, we sat down to eat and were served several dishes including a bowl of soup but there weren't any spoons. We--the other American student and I--watched our "family" and they picked up the bowl and drank this soup. They seemed to enjoy it and completely emptied their bowls. Well, I picked up the bowl and brought it to my face and took a very small sip. While I was in the middle of this tiny sip, the odor hit me like a semi-truck. It was all I could do not to spew that tiny sip--and then some--right then and there. LOL! I can most definitely say that I did not like pig part soup.

So, what about you? What is the strangest thing you have ever eaten and did you like it?

Happy Scrapping!

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Anything I've eaten that I thought was weird...seems completely normal now!! LOL

Anonymous said...

I can say that I can even to begin to come close to any of that. WOW and yuckers. When I was kid I remember eating shortening sandwiches with salt and pepper the thought of it now is sickening.The only thing out of the ordinary is I have tried alot fo wild game but most of it was good. Suzanne

Renae said...

I ate a grasshopper once, but totally by accident. Can't say that I tasted it as it hopped into my mouth and straight down my throat!
Congrats to your husband!
Renae

Alisha said...

My grandfather was Filipino and did most of the cooking. He made some interesting things, eyeball soup was the most memorable. He also cooked with a lot a blood. I don't remember a lot about him as he passed away when I was 14 but I do remember the odd things he cooked!

Caroline said...

apparently, when I was little, I used to eat coal! not sure why, perhaps Mum's cooking was lacking something LOL . One of my Daycare children had a real thing for garden snails, I was forever scooping them out of his mouth! YUK! cheers, caz

Sheree said...

OMG, this brought back memories! I can taste the dirt now...After getting a popsicle from the Ice Cream Man, I remember using the stick to scrape off gum from the sidewalk and eating it. Wow. I also remember when I was in Jr High, some kids were eating fresh asphalt and telling us how good it was. Soooo, we ran to the street they were working on and found some chunks. Very chewy. I'm surprised how old I am when I think of it...