Monday, February 23, 2009

A New KNK Swap and More

The other day, I was thinking about where we were a year ago and what we were doing. It occurred to me that a year ago right now, I had quit my job as a Spanish teacher and was madly going through everything we owned to prepare for our move to Florida. Also, as was typical of every February I spent in Michigan, I was fed up with the ice and snow.

Don't get me wrong. Snow is absolutely beautiful . . . for Christmas. Yet, when you have to drive in it and try to walk through it day in and day out for months at a time, there comes a point when you just want to scream "Uncle! Enough already! I want to move to Florida!" LOL!

So, the theme of the newest KNK Swap is "Spring Fever." Have you signed up yet? I know it's not quite going to get anyone out of the snow and I know that everyone can't just up and move to Florida. Yet, I do know creating a spring file just might keep those winter blues at bay and hasten the arrival of spring. So, what are you waiting for? Hurry on over and sign up right here.

Tonight, I have to go back to school. LOL! After having President's Day off of teaching my class, it seems like it's been a long time since I've taught. I know it'll be fine. I just have to work up the motivation to get out the door.

The trick to that just might be in the challenge of teaching an idiom. An idiom is an expression that makes perfect sense to native speakers but doesn't necessarily translate to a second language. A perfect example is "I have a frog in my throat." It doesn't literally mean there is an amphibian in my throat yet everyone who's spoken English since infancy knows what that means.

Tonight's challenge is going to be "The squeaky wheel gets the grease." I need to teach my students this so they can be . . . um . . . let's say . . . 'motivating' to the Parish Office. Technically, my class is supposed to end tonight. The students want the class not only to continue but to be expanded as well. So, to get what they want, they need to become squeaky wheels. LOL!

Happy Scrapping!

No comments: