Monday, December 22, 2008

The Memory Game

Warning: If you are squeamish, you may want to skip this post and come back tomorrow.

Okay, with that said, I want to know why it is that we tend to have selective memories?

I have lived most of my life in what many would call The Great White North. I know the Midwest is not the tundra nor is it that bad when it comes to snow and cold. Yet, winters here can be very cold and nasty and depressing especially when you have to live through it day in and day out without seeing the sun for 6 weeks at a stretch.

I can vividly remember winters like that. I can vividly remember being so cold that it was downright painful. I can remember, as a teenager, we would shower before school and leave the house when our hair was still wet and it would freeze solid before we got on the school bus. I can remember many things about winter in the Midwest but there is one thing I forgot until now.

I didn't remember that snot could freeze inside your nose. LOL! I'm not kidding. I do not consciously remember having snotsicles at any time in my life yet when I felt the sensation of mucous freezing near my nostrils, I knew exactly what was happening. So, why is that?

Okay, enough about nasty winters. Please check back tomorrow when I hope to have something more civilized to share. LOL!

1 comment:

debenj said...

LOL Ileana! You brought some memories for me... We use to live up in the UP Mich (farthest north you could get... Cooper Harbor) and had quite a few snotsicles (lol love this word!)

Thanks for the memories!!!