Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Got to Have a Generator

First, let me say the teacher in me must have overwhelmed you since the only comment I received about yesterday's trivia was from someone who doesn't qualify. I will say Debbie Wright was on the right track but since she's my creative team, it wouldn't be fair. I'll let the offer stand for a day or so more and, if no one answers, I'll give the answer then.

We have spent a lot of time lately debating and discussing all things related to a generator. I know more about propane, generators and building codes than I thought I would ever need to know. Getting it ordered has taken a lot more than I thought it would too but we should know soon when it will be installed.

Bryan's work is requiring us to have a whole-house generator in case of an emergency--in other words, a hurricane. It sure would be nice if they would pay for it too but that is not the case. Nope! But, since my husband is over-qualified (he's a planner, an industrial engineer, an environmental engineer, a medical service corp officer, etc, etc, etc,) he'll have to work through any emergency. That means we'll be here at home, weathering the storm, so to speak. So, we live by the boyscout motto (yes, he's even an Eagle Scout too): we'll "be prepared."

3 comments:

debenj said...

Looking forward to seeing what the official answer is to your cow/beef etc... question. A topic on this was brough up (many yrs ago) and wasn't quite sure how close I'd be with an answer.

LOL Ileana! My Hubby is also an Eagle Scout (so is our son) and that "Be Prepared" is very familiar in our household :). We don't have the whole house generator but do have a portable one that gets put to use during power outages. (Can't have the deer/venison go bad that's in the freezer! LOL )

Hopefully this hurricane season will be gentle on all.

Unknown said...

Ileana,

Most meat names come from Norman French. You can see the similarities in modern French animal names:

mutton < mouton (sheep)
beef < boeuf (cow)
veal < veau (calf)
pork < porc (pig)

The theory is that the Anglo-Saxons who raised the animals in the fields used the English names, but the people who cooked and served the meat used the Norman French names, since that was the language spoken by the nobles (who were eating the meat).

doreen

Unknown said...

WooHoo...does this mean I win??? OK..if so, what did I win? Hey, what can I say, give me a challenge and I am there! That's why I play bingo on the forum...for the fun!

Doreen