Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Japan & Scouting

To clarify, Cutting for a Cause is what a few of us designers did last year after the Haiti earthquake.  Each of us who participated gave a free file for a donation to charities who had their "boots on the ground" in Haiti to help the country recover from the disaster.  I am considering doing this again for Japan but I would need some time to get other designers on board.

Now, I know that Japan is a much wealthier country than Haiti, so you may not think they are "needy" but here's some interesting facts:
  • Per capita, Japan gives 20 cents in international aid while the US only gives 13 cents per capita.  (This means for each Japanese citizen, they contribute 20 cents to help other countries while the US only gives 13 cents per citizen.)
  • Japan has deployed medical personnel to treat our wounded troops in both Iraq and Afghanistan and they are still there today.
  • Japan provides ship to ship refueling with free fuel for the anti-piracy missions off of Somalia.
  • They have deployed rescue personnel to every natural disaster since 1950.
  • Their urban search and rescue team is one of the best in the world and is always deployed to help others in need.
I guess you could say I am on my soapbox again but if there is anything at the core of my being it's that I believe strongly that we are meant to help other people.  If for no other reason, I would want someone to help me if I were in need.

And, yes, I know that we have people right here, right now who need our help too.  So, if I do Cutting for a Cause II, I will allow donations to local charities as well.

So, would you be interested in Cutting for a Cause II?

I also promised you some pictures.  Unfortunately, since I was busy helping run the show, I didn't get the chance to take a lot of pictures on the campout this past week-end.  But here is one of Bryce as he crossed over from Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts.

And his first Boy Scout meeting went well.  He's all excited to participate in the very first fundraiser--a swim-a-thon where he is taking pledges for each lap (32) in a mile that he will try to swim next week.  I don't know if he realizes just how long a mile swim is.  LOL!

Until next time, Happy Creative Time!

2 comments:

Sue aka barracudasue said...

I am looking forward to seeing you LO of Bryce crossing over to Boy Scouts! What a FUN ceremony that must have been. I love how they had a bridge for him to cross over on. That is just SO cool! Again, congrats to Bryce!

I'm with you all the way about helping others in need. You're a wonderful woman, Ileana and your heart is in the right place!

scrapy1 said...

Wow, I had no idea that Japan did so much to help us.
If I created files I definately would help here.
Kathy B OH