Tuesday, November 23, 2010

A Different Kind of Thanksgiving

This year, we are having a different kind of Thanksgiving.  I think this will be the first time I have ever celebrated Thanksgiving with less than 5 people.  Yep, it's just going to be the 4 of us this year.  You see, Hubby's Air Force commitments have used up ALL his leave and will continue to do so through February at the least. 

So, this year we are staying here and, for the first time, no one is coming to visit us either.  It's an odd feeling, especially when I grew up celebrating Thanksgiving with 40 family members.  It's even more odd when you consider that I am the only one in my side of the family who lives in a warmer climate.  You'd think we'd be running a hotel with a revolving door.  LOL!

This smaller Thanksgiving has meant a small change in our normal traditions.  Usually, I bake at least two pies.  Sometimes, it's four or more.  This time, we've decided to make the desserts the kiddos would prefer instead.  Today, the kids helped me back chocolate chip cookies and tomorrow we'll be baking brownies.  The kids are delighted and there's always more time for pie later. 

For today's dose of gratitude, I am so grateful I have my family with me to celebrate Thanksgiving and just being together.  That is one of the best blessings of all!

Until next time, Happy Creative Time!

4 comments:

Rockin Robin Caldwell said...

Ileana, my dear...you sound a little sad. My Thanksgiving story was similar to yours up until about 3 years ago. Actually, it applies to all the holidays now as my husband's family as well as my own are scattered all over the country. I have actually come to enjoy the quiet time with my hubby and kids!! No running around, and if you choose, it can be totally casual..little stress!! I am an RN, and have to work 1/2 of the major holidays, so it really works out. As long as you are with the people you truly love..it's all good!!! I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Hugs, Rockin Robin C

Anna said...

Happy Thanksgiving Ileana. Thank you for all you do and give. God Bless you and yours. Enjoy your day and family.

Trisha said...

We'll have four also. Hubby and me, Mom, and our son. It's kind of nice not to have all the work of so many guests, so we really can take the time to give thanks. God bless you and your family, Ileana.

Lisa Avolio said...

We had just our immediate family last year, and it felt very different to me, too. Not bad, just different. This year we are hosting the extended family, and it will be busier again. More of our normal traditions. As main cook, I don't get as much time to visit, but I plan to accept all offers of help this year.
Enjoy the quiet moments, especially since you probably won't have another like this one for a while. If you still feel it's too quiet, you could probably get some of your international students to join you! You could even teach them your favorite recipes.