Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Cutting for a Cause

In lieu of this week's free file, I have a special challenge for you.

I'm sure you have seen pictures of the devastation in Haiti. It breaks my heart to look at them and think of all those poor people suffering.

Did you know that Haiti is the poorest nation in this hemisphere? 80% of their population lives in poverty. The average family income in Haiti is $1,200 per year. The life expectancy there is 52 years. Compare that to the life expectancy in the US--77 years. In Haiti, the infant mortality rate is 73 deaths for every 1,000 live births. In the US, it is 6.5 deaths for every 1,000 live births. In Haiti, of those who are 15 years of age or older, only 53% can read and write. In the US, that number is 97%. The amount of land that is fit for agriculture in Haiti is also severely limited compared to the US. The normal diet in Haiti includes dirt.

Life in Haiti before the earthquake was very difficult. To have to suffer through an earthquake of that magnitude and such horrible destruction has got to be simply devastating.

So, here's my challenge to you. For every one who contributes to the relief efforts in Haiti, I'll let you choose any file you want from my design line. Simply forward me your receipt or your thank you message from the agency to ijr41ug@yahoo.com and I'll send the file out to you. You get to help the people of Haiti and you get a free file you like and a tax deduction too! How does that sound?

I'm even going to provide you some information on agencies where you can make a difference. Now, you do not have to contribute to these agencies--yes, you may choose your own; however, each of these agencies is directly involved in Haiti. I am also listing them in the order of their ranking. That is, the one with the lowest administration and fund-raising costs (and, therefore, the highest percentage of your donation going directly to the relief effort) is first and so on down the list.


I appreciate your participation in this! I know the people of Haiti will too.

Don't forget to let me know what file you want and what format you want for your file. Again, just send me your receipt or the thank you message you receive for donating to me at ijr41ug@yahoo.com

Until next time, Happy Creative Time!

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

This is such a great thing for you to do, I truly commend you for your such giving and caring attitude. It gives me such great honor to call you a friend.

Elizabeth said...

I did donate to the FFP but do not want to get a free file for it as i already have a ton of your files, it was just such a great cause anyway, thnaks for sharing such great information. YOU ROCK!!!!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea, thanks for making it more accessible for us to be able to help the Haitians at this time