Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Why Is It?

Why is it that we ride on a plane, train, or ship but in a car or truck? Is it because of the size of the vehicle? If that is so, why do we ride on a bike or motorcycle? That is just one of the complexities I tried to explain to my students last night. It wasn't the only one.

Speaking of "one." How can one be plural? I'm serious. For example, "There are lots of shirts in my house. The clean ones are in the dresser. The dirty ones are in the laundry hamper." See what I mean?

To make matters worse, one little letter can certainly throw a monkey wrench in the works. Take the letter, "h" for instance. A bathroom is a very necessary part of our lives. There is not a person out there in today's society who would build a house without at least one bathroom. Right? Well, take out the "h." Would you build a "batroom" in your dream home?

Until next time, Happy Scrapping!

5 comments:

Lisa Avolio said...

Good ones!
I think the first group of "on's" is because you're a passenger.

The lady who recruits for our ESOL ministry has a cute, lengthy talk she gave about the contradictions in English usage. I'll see if she can give me a copy for you.

Lisa Avolio said...

Here's a short version- from my friend Nancy. Enjoy!
"There is no egg in the eggplant; no ham in the hamburger and neither pine nor apple in the pineapple. English muffins were not invented in England, and French Fries have nothing to do with France. Quicksand takes you down slowly, boxing rings are square and guinea pigs are neither from Guinea nor are they pigs.

Is it any wonder that our poor students have trouble with the English Language?"

Caroline said...

I'm thinking you are thinking too much!! LOL have a great day, cheers, caz

Elizabeth said...

hahahahaha, those are some good ones. I am trying to learn German and I always say I just simply have a hard time with just english, now you can see why...lol

TonyaKaye said...

hmmmm. makes my head hurt just pondering these!