Thursday, April 23, 2009

Life Skills

I fully intended to get a free file out to you today but other things kept creeping up higher on my to-do list. Sorry. Yet, since I got a lot of stuff done today, maybe tomorrow will be better. At least I hope so.

Tonight, I'm having to take a time out in my English class. I discovered late Monday night that at least one of my students does not know how to write a check. She actually handed me her checkbook and asked me to do it for her. So very trusting!

After all these years teaching ESL, it never ceases to amaze me how trusting my students can be. I also have to shake my head at myself this time. I should have remembered to throw in some life skills in my lessons all along. We take so many things for granted, simple things we do without thinking but that pose a challenge for second-language learners.

So, tonight we're taking a break from the present progressive tense and "this," "that," "these," and "those." The agenda for tonight is "Keeping a Checkbook." Honestly, I'm a bit scared by that. LOL! I haven't balanced a checkbook without Quicken in so long that I'm not sure I'll teach that aspect very well. Wish me luck; I'm afraid I'm going to need a lot of it!

Happy Scrapping!

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I hope it all went well last night for the ESL class. I haven't balanced a checkbook either in a very long time...lol